Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tying the Knot - Rebozo Style

Happy Blog Day!


This weekend has been rainy and muggy and well, not fun to be out in. Yet I'm thrilled that so many of you came out, with your babies, to join us yesterday to learn more about using a ring sling and tying a rebozo.

What is a rebozo?


Rebozo can refer to a couple things, actually.

Originally, Rebozo is traditional Mexican textile, with multiple uses, including use as a scarf or shawl and use as a baby or bundle holder. Typically about 2 yards long, this woven fabric is woven or dyed with various indigenous patterns and bright colors. They are still very common in Mexico and are inexpensive.  Inda Jani is a relatively new company selling Mexican rebozos for babywearing. They are in traditional patterns, but they are selling them in several different lengths.







In the babywearing community, Rebozo refers to the actual style of carry, that we use similar to traditional Mexican women. This basic carry is a one shouldered hip carry tied with a slip-knot, but in the babywearing world, we've renamed it a Rebozo knot.


Melissa, with H in a Rebozo carry
The Rebozo knot is not just used in Rebozo carry. Many Babywearers use it to tie off shoulder carries as its flexible nature allows the wearer to adjust the carry - lower it, raise it, tighten it, or loosen it - without unwrapping all together. If you search YouTube, you can find examples of finishing a Semi-FWCC with a Rebozo Knot, as well as several different Tied-At-Shoulder (TAS) back carries. Tying a Rebozo knot is a handy skill to learn, I admit.  Full disclosure: I, your usually know-it-all blogger, have yet to master a Rebozo knot. I've tried. I get it while watching the video. But trying to repeat it without the video leaves me tangled and confused. And I also will admit that I'm probably not trying all that hard and just resort to other carriers, carries, and methods of wearing my baby. Please do not let my ineptness deter you from trying this on your own! It's such a versatile skill that I'm sure will come in handy for many of you.


 

What can you use to Rebozo?


A shorter woven wrap works best for this, a size 2 or size 3, which is roughly 2.7-3.1 meters long. Table cloth shorties, which are made from 120" table cloths also make great rebozos. I would suggest something not too thick, because rebozo knots are bulky in general. But really, honestly, you can rebozo in anything.  Especially as you are getting started, if you have the option of something with different colored rails (the top and bottom long hems of a wrap), that makes it easier to keep track of where you are, avoid getting tangled, and makes it easier to see where to tighten.

How to do it?


This is a step-by-step picture tutorial - I find these somewhat easier to follow than videos since I don't have to stop, start, and rewind to keep finding my place.

If you prefer a video - This one I found very helpful

I normally use a ring sling, which means feeding any slack towards the rings and pulling through. In a rebozo, you feed the slack over your shoulder, above the knot, and pull downwards. (yes, Babywearers, I just did a rebozo knot to help figure this out. I used the photo tutorial. I don't know if I'll be able to repeat it, but I'll give it a shot!)

If this knot, and adjusting it, is giving you a hard time, or you are just up for the challenge, there is a variation, called the reverse rebozo knot. Many people find the reverse version easier to adjust.  In the reverse version, tightening is just like a ring sling, you are tightening the front pass, in front of baby.

Rebozo knots aren't your thing? Give Ring Slings a try!


I don't like repeating myself (a fact which my children have yet to catch on to, unfortunately), so HERE is my post on Ring Slings.

We are working on putting together a list of reputable (and compliant) Ring Sling makers, If you know any sling makers that are both, please let us know over in our Facebook Group. We love sending business to local businesses (even if they aren't local to us, they are local to someone, and that's still pretty awesome).

Upcoming Events:

 

Every Wednesday Evening (somewhere between 8 and 9 P.M.) join us for our weekly chat. It's a chance to just get to know each other better, catch up, and find out what everyone is up to. The chat lasts as long as people keep talking.

 

Our next official meeting is Thursday, August 28th - We'll be talking about Ring Slings and Rebozos, so come let us help you learn how to use either, troubleshoot any difficulties you may be having, and just hang out. Children of all ages are welcome, however peanuts are not. This is a peanut-free facility.

 

We will have playdates in between now and then, join the conversation in our Facebook group to find out when, or suggest a date, time, and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment